Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fear Not

It has been pointed out to me by well-meaning individuals that I have a tendency to a) mention something once and never bring it up again, or b) say a lot about something without actually saying anything about it.

Unfortunately for the aforementioned people, this is going to be another one of those posts.

There are exactly two things that freak me out. I'm not talking about jump-a-foot-in-the-air-because-someone-popped-out-at-you scary. I'm talking heart-in-your-throat-can't-breathe-because-of-the-panic scary.

There's not a lot I can do when faced with either of those things, but I found (rediscovered) a passage today that may help with one of them. And because I am so nice, I'm going to share it with you. (The verse, not the thing that freaks me out. Sorry.)


Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest. The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, "Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades."


Revelation 1:12-18

3 comments:

  1. I think I know where this verse came up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do, indeed. It was more helpful than you knew. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you afraid of jewelry? Or of anything bronze or golden?
    Or... is it nature? Are you afraid of the ocean, Jessica? Snow? Fire? Lampstands?

    My tongue found a speck of pepper hidden in my teeth. I bit and oh man...

    ReplyDelete