Tuesday, November 13, 2012

a'mailing we will go

Work is a little crazy right now.

People probably don't spend much time thinking about how all of those year-end letters and appeals get to them around Thanksgiving and Christmas. After all, it's just one letter from one organization.

One letter that came out of a batch of 20,000. One organization that has several ministries all sending batches of 20,000 letters.

Most of which have to be printed in house.

By me.

We call them Direct Mail Letters - DMLs. In years past, we've sent as many as 20 at the end of the year. That got to be a bit much, so we got it down to 13 last year.

This year we have about six.

Still, six letters, each going to around 20,000 people - it adds up.

And I haven't even mentioned prayer letters yet.

I'm responsible for sending missionary prayer letters throughout the year - but they are staggered. Some send quarterly, some monthly, some twice a year. It's manageable.

Pretty much everyone sends a Christmas letter.

My mother wonders why I have such a hard time keeping my apartment clean. I maintain that it is because I have to expend so much brain power keeping work things organized. For example, Person A needs their letter sent in late November on white paper with 50 extra copies. Person B wants their letter sent in early December on blue paper with a Christmassy graphic. Multiply those requests by 50. Multiply all of that by 500 emails back and forth.

It's a little nuts.

But I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment