Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Editing Ain't for the Faint of Heart

Here's the thing.

OMS is very Wesleyan.

I am not.

OMS is very holiness-oriented.

I am not.

And honestly, that's okay. We both believe that Jesus died on the cross, was buried, rose again, and is coming back. We believe he is the only path to salvation. We believe in the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. We believe God is omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, and immutable. We believe the Bible is the infallible Word of God.

So the basics are solid.

But there's a reason there are approximately 41,000 Christian denominations around the world (according to the Center for the Study of Global Christianity). Believers don't always agree on things, anything from what day to worship to the place of secret societies (the reason for the division of my own denomination). This is also okay, to a certain extent. As long as the fundamentals are in place, I'm pretty okay with most differences.

All that to say this: I'm editing the T&M booklet on the Holy Spirit right now. I don't agree with some of the theology, but not in a life-altering, this-completely-changes-all-religion way. Just in a I-don't-think-that's-what-this-verse-means way.

Makes life interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment