Monday, January 18, 2016

Birthday Thoughts

So last Saturday, I celebrated my 30th birthday. I have been on this plant for 30 years. Three decades. 10,950 days. 282,000 hours.

In other words, a long flipping time.

I know there are some who would say that's not very long. And I suppose, relatively speaking, it's really not that long.

But it feels long to me.

I've done a lot so far in my life. I've traveled, I've studied, I've made friends, lost friends, had a few different jobs. There are a lot of things I haven't done. I've never been married, for one. I can't decide if I want that to change.

Obviously, I can't see into the future. I don't know what the next three decades holds, or even if I get three more decades. But I do know that I don't want birthdays to become just another day. They signify an achievement. By the grace of God, I've survived another year on this little round ball, and at times, I've even enjoyed it.

So if you ever hear me say that I won't be celebrating my birthday, remind me of this post.

And at some point, there had better be a surprise birthday party. 

No comments:

Post a Comment