Friday, December 17, 2021

The Weekly Wrap-Up: December

I'm just going to make this a blanket December post because we appear to have missed most of it. Last week, I was rushing around trying to get things done before the retreat started Friday night. This week has been more of the rushing, but I finished most of my stuff yesterday, so today is pretty chill. I don't know how I always forget how crazy it can get in December. Lori says it's like forgetting the pain after having a baby. I don't have experience with that. I do have experience with kidney stones, which I'm told is like being in labor, and I have vivid memories of writhing on the floor in pain. So I guess December can't be that bad in comparison. Plus, the only consolation of getting rid of the kidney stones is that they are gone, while you have a squirming vomit factory after giving birth and rad gifts at the end of December. I will take the holiday season every time.

So yes, lots to do. Most of it involved supporter gifts and my end-of-year letter. I had a few meetings here and there in the last couple of weeks, mostly about the future of ECC and publishing in general. I will have some announcements on that score sometime in the future.

I do enjoy going back through my calendars and photos for the year. I did a lot more than I remember, and it was actually a pretty good year all around. I've been working on my anxiety, spending more time with friends and family, and generally just trying to find more joy in life. It's amazing how much attitude can make a difference. My dad's favorite line was "Attitude determines your altitude." He's not wrong. And I know it's not as easy as just flipping a switch and changing your attitude. Sometimes you need to be sad or angry. But don't linger in it. Feel your feelings, and then move on. Nothing good comes from dwelling on the bad stuff. 

I got to sing some Christmas carols in chapel this week. I haven't done much of that yet this year. This extra week between Thanksgiving and Christmas threw me off. I was very appreciative of it, because I was able to finish everything in a timely fashion. But it also draws out the suspense. 

Not sure what I'm doing for Christmas this year, but I do hope that you have a fantastic day, week, and a safe New Year celebration. 

See you in 2022! 

No comments:

Post a Comment