Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Lions and Snakes and Wobbly Brains

Every so often, I'll put my iPod on shuffle and the songs that come forth fit perfectly with my mood. This isn't entirely a surprise considering the only songs I put on my (old) iPod were ones I really liked that fit my personality. Still, there is a good mix of fast, slow, ballads and instrumentals, so when five or six songs in a row hit the right note (pun intended), it is a nice feeling.

This has not happened to me for a long time.

However, BibleGateway has this option where you can get a daily verse delivered right to your email, and I would like to share with you some that have been especially poignant.

May 30 - "In God, whose word I praise -- in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals to do me?" Psalm 56:4

June 24 - "But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one." 2 Thessalonians 3:3

July 7 - "As for God, his way is perfect: The LORD's word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him." Psalm 18:30

As you may recall, I was engaged in some serious spiritual warfare before my trip to Poland. My friends and family were being attacked, I was being hit with serious doubt and that mangy old lion--

Curious, isn't it, that C.S. Lewis chose a lion to represent Aslan in The Chronicles of Narnia. While a lion certainly is majestic, it is also a fearsome beast. Of course, Lewis made a point of making sure everyone knew that Aslan was not a tame lion. I just think it is an odd choice, especially since Peter described Satan as a roaring lion, seeking those he could devour. Maybe Lewis used The Last Battleto reconcile these opposing views. Puzzle was a pathetic lion, to be sure, but Shift, as the power behind the deception, certainly capitalized on the 'not a tame lion' bit.

Sorry. Now you know how my thought process works. It's amazing I ever get anything done.

Anyway, the rotten snake (no problems there) was doing his level best to tear me apart before the trip. By the grace of God, I won the majority of the skirmishes. I left for my trip on June 24.

I'm not going to get into everything here. For one, there are people who might read this who I haven't told certain things, some because they haven't asked, but others because I just didn't want to tell them. I would hate for anything I said to cause problems with them. Also, I haven't quite worked out everything for myself, and while I could do that as I write, no one wants to work their way through the mess that would follow.

Suffice to say, this was not the best trip I've ever been on. It was also not the worst trip I've ever been on. (That would be my first trip to Poland.) There were plenty of challenges, plenty of blessings, but when I think about what could have happened if I had already been beaten and broken, all I can do is thank God for His faithfulness. It shouldn't come as any surprise that he knows what he is doing.

Well, this started in one corner of my brain and ended up somewhere completely different. I'll end it here, hoping I haven't completely frustrated you all once again by saying a lot and very little at the same time.

If you have any resources on Lewis' reasoning behind making Aslan a lion, I would be very interested to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment