Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Squire's Tales are Ending

So I'm a reader.

Like, I read a lot.

A. Lot.

Pretty much every day, in fact.

I read a lot of different things. I read magazines because they incorporate a lot of different information into a small space. I read history books because history is awesome. I read commentaries and newspapers and fanfiction and classics andpretty much everything.

But I'm hesitant to read a lot of fiction. I don't immediately rush out to buy the new bestseller. Part of that is my inherent anti-establishment nature. Part of it is because a lot of what is being written these days is crap.

But the biggest reason I hesitate to read fiction is that I don't already know the ending. I get so emotionally invested in stories that a sad, surprise ending can send me into a spiral of despair for days. I have to be careful about what I read. I have to guard my heart.

But I can't just stop reading. Sometimes I have to take that risk.

So now we get to the point.

A few years ago (more like fifteen or so), I started a lovely little series by Gerald Morris. This is one of the best series I've read ever. In my life. I suppose technically they are considered Young Adult, but I really think everyone would enjoy them. It's funny, it's (somewhat) historical, it's smart, and it's moral. The series is based loosely on the story of King Arthur, but each book really focuses on a young man named Terence, the squire of Sir Gawain, and the people he interacts with at court. There are many fantasy elements to the books as well as Terence deals with the Seelie Court and the fairies. They are just so well written, and I have loved each and every book.

Except now I have a problem. There are ten books in this series. I've read nine. The tenth is about to arrive on my doorstep.

And I know how the story of King Arthur ends.

I'm already emotionally invested in these characters' lives. So I can't not read the book.

But it's going to be sad. I know it. You know it. The whole world knows it.

(There's a photo going around the internet with the caption 'Is it possible to have PTSD from books?' The answer is yes.)

So I suppose this is serving as a warning. If I seem more despondent than usual, you know I've read the book.

Of course, as soon as I've finished it, I'm going to have to read the series all over again. Does that count as self-sabotage?

(Seriously, read the books. They are awesome.)

No comments:

Post a Comment