Thursday, September 10, 2015

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will be hard. It's hard every year.

For the most part, I'll be avoiding social media, the news, anything that might acknowledge the significance of the day.

It's not that I don't want to be reminded. Although it still feels like a punch in the chest when I am.

It's that I don't want to be desensitized. I don't want the day to become less than what it is.

So if I'm quieter than normal, you'll know why. I'm thinking about a day that changed everything. I'm thinking about people who started the day expecting normal, and ended the day before the sun ever set, some having no idea what had happened, and some who knew without a doubt that they would never see their children, parents, siblings, spouse, loved ones again. I'm thinking about the people who did what they've always done - answered the call, served and protected, gave their all.

And I'm holding my breath. Because anniversaries tend to spawn all kinds of things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment