Friday, May 4, 2018

The Weekly Wrap-Up: April 30 - May 4, 2018

First of all, happy Star Wars day!

Second, I think I've spent just as much time out of my office this week as I've spent in it. It's pretty much exactly what I didn't need, especially after spending so much time last week back and forth from the seminar. Fortunately, I have a nice boss who let me reprioritize some of my work.

Let's start with Monday. I was responsible for Monday morning devotions this week. I usually try to do something fun and out of the ordinary. I didn't quite make it that far this time. But I'd like to think we still had a good discussion of 1 Samuel 3.

We had our weekly Monday Ops meeting as usual. But since it was such a nice day, we decided to have it outside at the picnic pavilion. It was lovely. It also took three times as long as it normally does. Weird how that works. It is from this meeting that we get our first Pic of the Week.


This is Buddy. Buddy began this life as a simple styrofoam cup. But through persistence on the part of moi in sticking a straw through his body and expertly rendering a face through the medium of ink, Buddy became something more. And he was thrilled.


Did I mention how little motivation we had on Monday? We were all feeling the effects of last week, I think. It tends to make people a little crazy.

On to Tuesday. Twice a year, we have a work day around OMS. Tuesday happened to be the day. For some reason, I was assigned to the #GutterCrew. I mean, we're awesome, no doubt. But I don't do ladders. So it was interesting.


This was my view for most of the day. Two guys would be up on the roof, blowing crap out of the gutters. I'd be on the ground, blowing the stuff away from the buildings and walkways. I was also Chief Schlepper. I'm great at schlepping. (The whole morning made me think of Jack Harkness. He's good on roofs. If you understand this reference, we need to be better friends.) We cleared off every roof on campus, minus the main building because I don't think it actually has gutters. That's 21 roofs of varying heights. And we did it all in about 4 hours.

Then, because no one sits idly for long around here, I found myself in possession of a golf cart and a friend.


That's Renee. She was attempting to back into the creek so we could dump some excess dirt. Then I attempted it. As you can see, it didn't go well. We may have broken a hitch. I blame metal fatigue. But we got the job done. Then we did some more schlepping. Golf carts are great for that.

Tuesday night was the single's dinner that I complained about last week. I don't mind getting together once a month. But I do mind it being on the same day as a work day. But we had a good time. I made a May Pole. I dressed up. I made food. I cleaned up.

Then I collapsed. Schlepping is hard work. My back still hasn't forgiven me.

On Wednesday, we had a half day of prayer. And look, praying is great. But it's killer when you have lots of projects due and you've already spent one day not working on them. Still, it was a good morning.

Finally, that afternoon, I had some time to work on a couple Chinese booklets. I also wrote my latest prayer letter, which should be in your hot little hands sometime next week. Can I just say that it's a real labor of love to write those and get them out every couple of months? I'm never quite sure what people will be interested in hearing, and I don't want to overlap with my blog too much because I really don't know how many people read it nor if those same people are receiving my letters. There are a lot of unknowns in this business.

Thursday was fairly quiet, though the heavy rainstorm was quite inconvenient when I had to leave mid-morning for a doctor's appointment. I don't think my shoes will ever be the same.

Finally, today, our department had lunch at the president's house. We had a very nice time. It's cool that they wanted to spend some time with each department getting to know people in a more informal setting.

And that's my week. It's slightly more than what fits in a nutshell, but I trust you'll forgive me. I do seem to alternate between short and long. Just depends on how my Friday is going, really. And how tired I am.

May the fourth be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment