Friday, September 24, 2021

The Weekly Wrap-Up: September 20-24, 2021

I'm on page 70! I've spent quit a bit of this week working on the Camel Method in Portuguese. It is slow going. I am able to do some of the finalizing as I go (making sure there's no overset text or weird breaks), but this is still going to take at least another week. Maybe. It all depends on what else crops up around here. I had to fix a Tamil file this morning that I had apparently started and never finished. I do try to write myself a note if I start a new project before the end of the day or on a Friday. But some things just slip. Fortunately, it's not a big deal as it was only a proof file. But it would still be annoying for translators, so they should be able to do their job more easily now. 

I had a few meetings this week. One was a debrief of the missionary council. I think we had some good takeaways from that. It will definitely mean more work for us as we learn some new systems that should help with hybrid events. Honestly, life is just easier when we can do all online or all live for events. But we're not there yet, so we do what we must. 

We had a really cute couple in chapel on Wednesday. Tim McGill and his wife Karen were here after retiring from working at a school in Taiwan. Karen actually retired in 2019. But after being in the U.S. for a while, she got an email from Tim. He asked her if she'd ever thought about marriage. 

That is one heck of a pick-up line. 

A few of us got to thinking about how we'd respond to an email like that. I honestly don't know (I do know it would likely involve a very unfeminine snort). But then we also figured out that there aren't actually any single male missionaries available to do something like that. Single guys rarely become missionaries, and if they do, they rarely stay single for long. 

I'm not saying I'm looking for a husband. I'm perfectly happy being single. But it is an interesting phenomenon. I could comment further, but I doubt it would be edifying to humanity, so I won't. 

It's weird how quiet it has been this week. Compared to the last few weeks, this feels abnormal. Honestly, it feels a little bit like last summer when we were in lockdown. I don't mind having fewer people around. But it is weird. Maybe I should get out more.

...

...

Yeah, nah, I'm good. 

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment