Thursday, January 12, 2012

Resounding Hope in Haiti

It occurs to me (actually, I've thought about it a lot) that I don't really talk about work on here. I mean, I talk about what I do and how busy or slow things are, but I don't talk about what OMS does. So today, I'm going to tell you about our latest project called Resounding Hope.

Chances are, if you're in any way familiar with One Mission Society or knew it as OMS International, you know that we work in Haiti. It's mentioned in a lot of our literature, we send a lot of work teams there, we have a school, we support a seminary, and we have a ton of missionaries there. I don't even know how many because I thought I knew them all and then I got a request for a new prayer card from someone who's been in Haiti I think longer than I've been alive. So I can't be confident in my knowledge.

One of the most important ministries in Haiti, however, is Radio 4VEH. Called "The Evangelistic Voice of Haiti," Radio 4VEH started broadcasting in 1950, and OMS assumed responsibility in 1958. In a country where up to 80 percent of the population is functionally illiterate, radio often provides the only news and information people get.

Resounding Hope has a goal of providing 160,000 solar radios with a potential of reaching one million Haitians. Why solar? Because electricity in Haiti is sketchy at best, and a solar radio makes sense in a Caribbean country. The radio is fix-tuned to Radio 4VEH, meaning 24/7 programming - everything from farming tips and weather reports to news programs and Bible lessons. The radio also comes with a built-in MP3 of the New Testament in Creole.

I think the best thing about these radios, though, is that each one is personally presented to a Haitian family as part of a door-to-door evangelistic campaign. I've heard more than a dozen stories from individuals who have been on these distribution campaigns, and they say the joy on the people's faces is indescribable.

I would encourage you to check out more information about Resounding Hope on their website or check out the Radio 4VEH Facebook page. This is a great fundraising project for your church or kid's group, too.

As always, if you need materials or want to talk more in-depth about anything related to OMS, please feel free to call me or email. I would love to tell you more!

1 comment: