Sunday, April 1, 2012

Isaiah 53:3-4 Part Deux

I posted this on Friday:

"He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain. Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem. Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted."

The Pastor made a good point in church this morning, one I've noticed but not really considered before - which is strange, because I love language.

Isaiah wrote this in the past tense. As in, this has already happened. And yet, it's a prophecy about the Messiah. 750 years would pass before this event took place. But he talks about it like it's done already.

Why would he do that?

Two reasons, I think.

1) God is timeless. As in, He exists outside of time. Everything that has happened, is happening and will happen - He's outside of it, and He's already seen it and is seeing it and will see it. And since Scripture is God-breathed, I think He likes to give us little clues as to what that is like. (Terrifying. I have no concept of infinity beyond a pit in my stomach. But that's okay. That's what the new body is for.)

2) The end was written before the story began. Had I written the Bible, I would have put a big ol' SPOILER ALERT back in Genesis. There's a reason the story doesn't end in Genesis 3. THERE WAS A PLAN!

Do I understand why things happened the way they did? No. But I know the end of the story, and

SPOILER ALERT

God wins. Has won. Is winning.


My brain hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment