Friday, April 20, 2012

Songs for Florida

Have you ever noticed that a lot of the songs about Florida are actually really depressing? Why is that? Are people's brains so soaked with sun that they just can't deal with life?

Fortunately, I did not experience these sensations on my recent trip to Orlando for the CLA conference. CLA stands for Christian Leadership Alliance, and I guess the conference is about helping future leaders or something like that. It was more about the technical stuff for me, and most of the stuff I learned was really helpful.

This whole journey started a couple of months ago when Ron Collins, the VP of Development, asked my boss if she was going to go to the conference again. She and Lori went last year, but because of schedules and other considerations, they had decided not to go this year. I think Ron wanted someone from Communications, though, so Susan asked me if I wanted to go.

I said, "Florida! Heck yes, I'll go!"

Of course, conferences, even in Florida, are still conferences. But we stayed in a pretty nice place.




No biggie. (Although I was keeping an eye out for a kid on a tricycle.)


I only got to spend about 20 minutes by the pool, and only on the first day, because the rest of it was non-stop.

Most of my time was spent in workshops and general sessions and technology summits and in the exhibit hall passing out business cards so I could win things.


And it actually worked! I won a lovely gift bag from the Girls Night Out booth, including a Kindle! How awesome is that?

Pretty much the only time I got out of the hotel was when we went to dinner. Which, admittedly, was quite nice, except for this one place that kept having thunderstorms...



That was a lot of fun.


Then there was the place with random weaponry sticking out of the walls. I wanted to stay there longer.

I also made a new friend.


I called him Steve. I thought for a minute that he was going to join us in the van.

It was a good trip. I would probably go again. Hopefully, what I learned will be useful to us in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment