Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Let the Nations Be Glad! Review

Remember that goal I had to read 50 books this year? I may have vastly overestimated my capabilities in this matter. Turns out I actually don't have a lot of free time on my hands that can be devoted to reading. Who knew? Anyway, even if it turns into one a month, it's still worth it.

I blame part of my seeming reticence to read on the second book I chose to pursue.

Title: Let the Nations Be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions
Author: John Piper
Published: 1993, 2003

As a missionary, this book should be primo on the list of things to read, right?

Maybe.

Honestly, it's more a treatise on worship masquerading as an argument for missions.

This book is not for the faint of heart. It's not for people with even a mild case of Attention Deficit Disorder. You will definitely feel the need to put it down and uncross your eyes.

Still, for as dense as Piper can get, he still has a lot to offer.

There can be no doubt that Piper has a deep love of God. (He also has an abiding love for Jonathan Edwards, but more on that later.) For him, everything we do should be an expression of how amazing God's nature really is. I can only imagine that John Piper is utterly exhausted much of the time with how much effort he puts into highlighting the supremacy and awesomeness of God in everything he does.

This is not a bad thing. But it can lead to some interesting conclusions.

I should mention that Piper tips the scales toward hyper-Calvinism. I do not. There was plenty I disagreed with. And some things that seemed to stretch the limits of 'useful information.' (I think Piper might actually need to evaluate his seeming devotion to Calvin. Based on a few contradictory passages, I don't think he believes certain things as much as he seems to think he does.)

But there was also quite a bit that was challenging and revelatory. For example, there was a very interesting study of the Greek word proskyneo. Of course, you need to know ancient Greek (or have access to someone who does) in order to follow the reasoning. But it's a really fascinating process with mildly useful implications.

Mostly, Piper confirmed resoundingly what I already believe: missions is extremely important. Maybe not for the reasons you'd immediately think, but extremely vital nonetheless.

Will I keep this book? Probably. If for no other reason than it can act as source material for the complete works of Jonathan Edwards. (Seriously, he is referenced every few pages.)

Favorite lines:

"God is the absolute reality that everyone in the universe must come to terms with."

"The reason we are not to exalt our own glory but God's is because he is God and we are not."

"God has given us prayer as a wartime walkie-talkie so that we can call headquarters for everything we need as the kingdom of Christ advances in the world."

"Unity in diversity is more beautiful and more powerful than the unity of uniformity."

"This is the essence of worship: to act in a way that reflects the heart's valuing of the glory of God."

BONUS: As an OMSer, I got a little thrill when Piper referenced Touch the World Through Prayer by our own Dr. Wesley Duewel.

BONUS, PT. 2: In the extremely fascinating section on hell, Piper includes part of a letter John Stott wrote to him. I underlines the following, because it's hilarious. "I just find you over-dogmatic ... leaving no room for the humble agnosticism which allows that God has not revealed everything as plainly as you make out."

BONUS, PT. 3: Piper includes part of a poem by Thomas Carlisle titled "You Jonah" that I found particularly resonant right now.

And Jonah stalked
to his shaded seat
and waited for God
to come around
to his way of thinking.
And God is still waiting for a host of Jonahs
in their comfortable houses
to come around
to his way of loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment