Friday, July 15, 2016

The Weekly Wrap-Up: July 11-15, 2016

It's pretty much a ghost town this week. I kept getting all these emails last week about things that were changing, so I expected chaos this week. But no, just a very quiet building.

Not that I'm complaining. I've spent most of the week recovering from being away and trying to sort out my life again and getting back into my routine. Twice, I woke up in the morning not knowing where I was. On Monday, I kept waiting for my mom to turn off the infernal alarm until it finally dawned on me that my mother wasn't around and I was probably annoying my temporary downstairs neighbor.

Actually, this week felt a little bit like Inception. I would start doing a task, but then another, more urgent task would come along, so I'd start to work on that. Then another task, so I went down another layer. And then another. I'm not sure if I've actually successfully worked my way back up and completed all of my tasks.

Actually, I just looked at my desktop. I have not, in fact, completed all tasks. But I'm close.

I think.

I've spent a good portion of time preparing file structures for new language projects. While at the ECC conference, we received several requests for new translations. This is good. But it means we have a lot of work coming at us. It'll be staggered some as we are working with many translators on different timetables, but some work very quickly. We just sent five Estonian files, and we already have five back. Our translator is very motivated.

I've also been sorting out the plans our ministry partners put together. Numbers keep changing, but we're solidly over the 370,000,000 mark, so I'm not too worried.

The app is coming along nicely, though we're now moving into more interesting levels. We have to make it available to people online, we need guest accounts - there's a whole slew of features yet to be created. At the same time, we need to make sure the normal stuff is still working.

I think part of why I'm so frazzled this week is that people keep coming to me for answers to questions I really don't know how to answer, but I happen to be the only one around.

Here's the final thing I learned this week: Don't try to mail 200 brochures to Oregon and expect them to get there in 3 days. It will cost $90. Ridiculous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment