Friday, October 14, 2016

The Weekly Wrap-Up: October 10-14, 2016

Not gonna lie.

Today, I wanted to throw something. Something that would shatter into a thousand pieces and leave evidence of chaos and destruction.

Or this:


But I didn't. Because I'm an adult. And adult who is a responsible, Christian woman. And also because that would probably get me fired. And I wasn't frustrated with my job. I was frustrated with my computer. Because it was stupid and not working. And files were corrupted. Like it lived on the streets.

I'm better now.

The rest of this week has actually been fairly pleasant. We had our staff briefing on Monday, during which we were reminded to wear our name tags for security purposes. I'm hit or miss on that, honestly. I know who I am and that I'm not (much of) a security threat. It's nice that leadership is thinking about these things, though.

There are two booklets in our series that we tend to split up for ease of use, and I learned how we do that this week. It's a fairly simple process, but there are a lot of fiddly bits you have to remember. Once I had it down, I created the entry in the training manual.

I got my flu shot on Tuesday! I'm not sure that merits an exclamation point, but I get 200 points in our wellness program for doing that, so I count it a win. I only mention it because it was on company time and on company property. It's totally normal for your arm to continue hurting three days later, right?

Chapels this week were fun. KyungMin, one half of our Korean couple working at HQ, gave us a history lesson about OMS' work in Korea. I found it quite fascinating. And then Alecia Bonson, who interned here a few years ago (and who I've mentioned on my blog), spoke about her time in South Korea this summer doing Adventures in English. She's fun and quirky, and we get along well.

So. My project today.

I've mentioned test files before, right? We have to make sure that what the translator sends us is faithfully represented by the files we output. It's an involved process, but it usually runs pretty well.

Except today it didn't.

Fortunately, it really wasn't my fault. Just the quirks of computers, corrupted files, and general cantankerousness. But after fifteen combinations of files, one person talking at me through the computer, and one person talking at me in the office, I was not in the best of dispositions.

So I had Foster put up some art I've been meaning to put up for a while now.


Doesn't that look nice? I bought them in Thailand waaaaay back and had them framed, but I didn't have a place in my apartment. 

Here's hoping the weekend doesn't bring quite as much frustration. Or maybe I will just break something in a legal and non-threatening manner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment