Friday, August 11, 2017

The Weekly Wrap-Up: August 7-11, 2017

First, a conversation with myself.

Jessica: Hey, how's it going?

Also Jessica: Great! I don't have cancer!

J: Oh. That is good. Was that a possibility?

AJ: Yes. There was a 30% chance that I had cancer.

J: I didn't know that.

AJ: Not many people did. I wasn't telling a lot of people because I didn't really know anything yet. But I think most folks knew something was happening.

J: Yeah, you've mentioned some health issues. And you had surgery, right?

AJ: Yes, back in July. The surgery cleared up some of the issues, but it also highlighted some other problems, like the possibility of cancer.

J: So are you healthy now?

AJ: Not entirely. But I'm on my way to being healthy, so that's good.

J: How can people help you now? 

AJ: Prayer is always greatly appreciated. Pray for my health to improve, for the tests to keep coming back with good news, and for the work to still get done. Also, pray for my finances, or contribute if you're able. All of these tests and the surgery have really wiped out my savings and bitten a huge chunk out of my credit card. (Ironically, if it had been cancer, everything would have been paid for by Aflac. But, you know, cancer vs. money... I know which I'd choose.)

J: Anything else?

AJ: No, I think we're done now. On with the regularly scheduled programming!



So, yeah, crazy week. I finished up my Hindi files Monday and sent them off into the ether. It's always satisfying to finish a project because it means we're making progress, and it's not always easy to tell that progress is being made. Don't think that the only languages we're working on are the ones I mention here, though. There's another gal doing what I do in Chile. She's working on some different languages, like Odia and Chinese. It's easy to keep just a few in our repertoire at a time so we don't get super confused.

This was T&M training week. I guess about 40 people were hanging out at the local church where we do training. This was the first time we've tried to do everything on the app, which had some positives and negatives. It's nice to get feedback on it since we've spent literal years building it. I hung out with the training folks for a few hours over the course of things, and I took the group photo on Thursday. It's nice to see so many different backgrounds and ministries coming together to learn more about T&M. It's a great window into how what I do is utilized around the world.

Finally, my latest large project is French group 2, which I'm actually taking through about four stages. It's a lengthy process, made even more so when I run into situations like this:


It's a little small, I know, but let me show you what it's supposed to look like (except in French): 

Neat, clean, one line of text, right in a row. 

So what happened with the first picture up there?

Our translator, instead of putting one part of the verse in each line, put the whole chunk of verses in each line. So where a phrase should go is an entire paragraph. 

I don't speak French. I could maybe puzzle out a few words based on my limited Spanish. But I somehow have to figure out where each part of that phrase should start and stop. 

I'll get fixed in proofing, yes. But somehow, I need to make sure all of the text is readable and ready to proof. 

This is just one issue I ran into. It's the most severe, which is why I used it for my example, but it is by no means the only problem. 

Word to the wise: when building template files in English that will then be translated into another language, leave plenty of white space. I don't care if it looks weird. Your graphic designers will thank you later. 



I still owe you a conference post.

No comments:

Post a Comment