Friday, August 4, 2017

The Weekly Wrap-Up: July 31 - August 4, 2017

We are famous for our acronyms here at OMS. We have ECC, MFM, and DWIM. SEMBEC, MECS, and CAM. You name it, we've probably named it better in a such a way as to spell out some pleasingly tripping little phrase or set of letters.

Such is the case with IAL.

Oh, you've not heard of IAL? It seems to be something exclusive to OMS, at least in this form.

What does it stand for? I'll tell you in a minute.

First, let's get the week out of the way.

I started out in French, of course, finishing up some proof files. I haven't worked much on French. I like the language, very lyrical, but I'm horrible at pronouncing the words. They always seem to come out with a Spanish accent, since I took Spanish in high school and college. I regret doing that somewhat. I think French would have served me better for studying history, as many historical documents were written in French during the medieval period. Latin, of course, is useful for most earlier things, and I guess if you're looking at church records. But when the church and state began to separate, French became the lingua franca. <---- obviously.="" p="">
As soon as I finished French, and I do mean almost exactly as I was uploading files, I was asked to secure some Korean files. We had a bunch of old files that had watermarks on them for various reasons. We fixed most of them way back when, but for some reason Korean got left out of the mix. And we need Korean because we have at least three Koreans attending T&M training next week. Since most of the training is going to be in English, it would be nice to have some clean files that they can actually read.

Securing files is pretty easy. It has to be done because we don't want people making changes to them or copying or formatting for their own (possibly nefarious but probably not) purposes. However, we still need them to print, so we run some fancy batch processes in Adobe and give it all a fun password so we can de-securify them in the future if needed.

We had a really great prayer rally this week. It was far outside our normal activities. Normally we sit around tables and sing and pray and listen to sermons and speakers and what not. It isn't bad, it's just a little tedious to do the same thing month in and month out. But this week, we did some prayer walking around the city of Greenwood. Some people went to the mayor's office, police stations, fire houses, hospitals, neighborhoods, local businesses, and elsewhere. Then we came back and heard testimonies from everyone's experiences. There were some real God appointments with people, which is very cool. I actually stayed in the building, though. Kathy and I went around to each office, work station, and public area and prayed over the people who inhabit them, the future inhabitants, and the future decisions and actions that will come from each space. Because we are pretty much up in everyone else's business (but in a good way), we had some specific things to pray about for each person. I hope they really felt God's presence in their area when they returned.

After finishing French and Korean, I turned my attention back to Hindi. New group, same job, making sure proof corrections are in and cooperating with the surrounding text. I'm not sure if it's easier to work with a language I sort of understand or one in which I have no idea what is being said. The temptation is to try to fix translations, which is a bad idea as the only language I speak with moderate fluency is English. (Although I did use the word 'cessation' today and was asked to please speak in English next time.) However, with character languages, I don't know any of the rules, and what I think is helpful may actually turn a phrase into something very rude.

Oh well.

I had another doctor's appointment yesterday. It took longer than expected, and not in a good way. I'd appreciate prayer over that whole mess.

I satisfied the creative part of my brain this morning, as Mike told me, by prepping some stuff for training next week. They needed posters for the 12 principles of church multiplication. I'm not sure what Mike meant by that, actually, because I literally spend all of my time creating booklets.

Whatever.

I'm not sure if they'll ask me again.


I thought it was creative.

Finally, we come to IAL. I first encountered IAL my first or second week at OMS. They had a training event right after CROSS training, and as my boss was recovering from a medical issue around the same time, I think they figured I might as well learn something else until she could give me work to do. What is it?

Interactive Adult Learning.

Basically, how do we make learning fun by focusing on the learner and not on the teacher. I'm still not totally convinced it works for everything, but it can be a very useful exercise, and it does break up the monotony of listening to a lecture eight hours a day. They needed guinea pigs this afternoon to listen to practice presentations, so I volunteered my services. It was a fun experience, and I'm always glad to get out of my office for a bit.

And that's the week. Be good, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment