Friday, June 15, 2018

The Weekly Wrap-Up: June 11-15, 2018

So I think I mentioned that I was working on a new group of Hakha Chin booklets. I've seen all of these in English, but it's been a while, and I've never had to deal with the translation side of things.

And after I opened up the first booklet to start working on it, I was worried that I would take far longer to finish than normal. 55 errors in overset text, which told me that we hadn't left nearly enough white space in the English templates for a longer language. Things you only learn as you go.

I didn't want to add pages. I will if I must, but adding pages throws off the whole booklet, and if you ever have to train a large group of people in multiple languages, they should all find the same thing on page 15. Sometimes it's unavoidable if you want something readable. But if at all possible, I try to avoid it.

Fortunately, I finagled some extra space out of nowhere and got everything to fit. It won't all be on the same page, but it's only off by a paragraph or two instead of whole pages. I'll take it as a win.

Three of the five booklets were in similar condition, so it did take me a full week to finish the group. But I'm actually really proud of that because I was anticipating 7 days instead of 5.

Chapel on Tuesday was a recognition chapel, first for Andrea Fisher, who has been here five years and was introduced as our new director of mobilization, and then for Ken Westercamp, who has volunteered here for ten years.

On Thursday, we had our intern chapel. They led worship and then each gave a short-ish testimony about themselves and/or what brought them to OMS. I always like hearing them speak, but it's also always a reminder of just how old I am now.

One sad note for this week - we had to say goodbye to Madison. I don't think I've mentioned her much, but she's been a big part of ECC for a little less than a year. She joined us as an administrative assistant while she funded to go to Hungary full time. She's a huge help in keeping us organized, and together with Sarah, we kind of became the three amigas of ECC. We also bonded over origami and Broadway, and I shall miss her greatly. But I know she will do great things in Hungary, so throw her some love, yeah?

Ashleigh (not in ECC, but still lovely), me, Sarah, and Madison
We like walking around the building in the afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment