Friday, December 21, 2018

The Weekly Wrap-Up: December 17-21, 2018

So you all know that the first five books of the Bible are known as the Pentateuch or alternately as the books of Moses. In Estonian, the language I worked on this week, they actually call Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy First Moses, Second Moses, Third Moses, Fourth Moses, and Fifth Moses. Which is awesome all on its own. But it also leads to many cases of sentences referring to "_ Moosese." This always makes me laugh because it inevitably leads my brain to picturing whatever number of moose lounging around or pastoring churches.

What can I say? It's the little things.

That was just one project this week - reviewing work again. But then, today of all days, my last day in the office in the year of our Lord 2018, someone decided we needed to publish 5 groups of Estonian. No problem, it's a lot of work, but shouldn't be an issue if all the files are ready to go.

Except they aren't.

Of course they aren't.

I can't really blame anyone in particular. This project has been causing us problems for a while now. It was something of a pilot fish for us. Our translator is very reliable and technologically savvy, so we've been testing some new methods on this project. Some worked. Some haven't. But that means it has been through more stages than normal. It has also already been Beta published twice. I'm really hoping this will be the last time.

Anyway, Group 01 still had some missing translations, and text that should have been deleted hadn't been. Groups 02-03 also had missing translation and incorrect styles. Groups 04-05 are great because I just finished reviewing them. My files are impeccable.

😁

I still have to check everything. So today, I was able to finish running all scripts on Group 01, and I even split booklets 2 and 7. (I'll probably use this as a reference so I know what I did and didn't do, which is why I'm including more detail and technical jargon than I normally would.) They should actually be ready to publish when I get back.

Next year.

Indeed, this is likely the last entry for 2018, unless I get the sudden urge to post some maudlin epic next week. Which, it is me, so that's not outside the realm of possibility.

Instead of a Pic of the Week, I'm going to leave you with a quick video tutorial on splitting booklets. I hope you find it interesting. (And I hope it works.)


No comments:

Post a Comment