Friday, January 18, 2019

The Weekly Wrap-Up: January 14-18, 2019

I've never understood the phrase 'thrown in at the deep end.' Not the meaning - I am fully aware of the meaning and the feeling behind it. But who in their right mind would teach someone how to swim by throwing them into the deep end of the pool/lake/ocean? It seems counterproductive. I didn't learn how to swim until I was 9 or 10. I was terrified of water (nearly drowned when I was quite young). If you'd thrown me into the deep end of the pool (the one I refused to dive into at the Y and thus did not graduate out of guppies with the rest of my class), I'd have probably panicked and hacked up a lung when you hopefully pulled me out. And then there would have been blood. (I heard a rumor that Russian women would throw their children into water right after birth so that the children's bodies would remember the swimming motion from the womb and they wouldn't have to be taught it later - not sure if there is truth to it, but for some reason, I believe it.)

Anyway, I'm finding a new dislike of that phrase this week, because I feel like I've been thrown into the deep end of managing T&M production, and there is just a flimsy rope attached to a sinking rowboat to keep me afloat.

Okay, maybe it's not quite that bad. But I have a new appreciation for how much work goes into this, and I feel like I already knew a lot about that. So what have I learned this week?

My documentation skills are severely lacking.

But they are getting better. They have to. We have too many projects going on right now for them not to. I think I'm starting to figure out where we are and where we're going. But it's rough, guys. So please be patient with me.

I think I touched at least four languages this week. I'm right in the middle of publishing Tagalog, so that will hopefully be done next week. I also need to do Hakha Chin. (And yes, I'm using this blog as one of my documentation techniques. You're just going to have to deal with that. If I put any more sticky notes on my desk, people are going to think I got pranked.)

Thank you to everyone who sent birthday greetings. It was a good day, and a good week. Stay safe this weekend. Be excellent to one another. As I told my mechanic, yes, the world is full of bad people. But if we don't do anything to try to change that, we become part of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment