Friday, January 11, 2019

The Weekly Wrap-Up: January 7-11, 2019

So I'm reviewing Estonian files before I publish them, and something catches my eye. Can you see it?


Yep. Big old note in English from the translator that never got caught by any of the many eyes that have seen this file before (which include mine since this is the second time I've checked this booklet - lest you think I'm tooting my own horn here). That would have been an awkward conversation with anyone who downloaded it. But I think (I hope) the files are ready - they had better be, because I published them on Tuesday. They are in the world, now.

I'm going to brag on our Romanian translators for a minute. See, we're used to releasing transfiles (translator files - where they type out the translation) a few groups at a time. And then we get them back in dribs and drabs. For Romanian, which is our newest project, we told them, "Look, we're going to put all of the transfiles in Google Drive. Don't feel pressure to do all of them right now. Just upload the translations as you're able." So they proceed to send back 64 pristine translation files in under three months. That's close to 250,000 words, which is half of "War and Peace." These guys are dedicated.

But this puts the production team in a bit of a pickle. I have a lot of other projects going, but I want to honor their efforts and encourage their eagerness to use Train & Multiply. That means getting these files put into booklets in a timely manner so that they can be proofread and the translators aren't just twiddling their thumbs. So now I'm going to brag on Marie. Because she's equally fast. In the last two weeks, she has been able to process five groups of Romanian booklets. Are they perfect? No. But they don't have to be, yet. I'm able to do a quick review of the layout and then send them off.

I've done more team lead stuff this week than I've been able to do since we first talked about this transition. We had a meeting yesterday about what we'd like to accomplish in the first quarter and what that means for prioritizing T&M projects. It was quite helpful, but it has also opened my eyes to just how many projects we have and just how many segments there are to manage. Also, we've been somewhat lax in maintaining our records of who has done what and when. So I've been reviewing that file with Brian. But my To Do list looks something like this:


That's six languages, not including Romanian, that need something from me in the next week or so.

It's fine.

Really.


No comments:

Post a Comment