Tuesday, February 14, 2012

St. Valentine's Day Massacre

Valentine's Day. I'm not a fan.

It is partly because of the over-commercialization. It is partly because I'm not in a relationship. It is partly because Geoff Chaucer helped make it what it is. Okay, a huge part is because I'm not in a relationship.

But really, I don't like Valentine's Day because it's about love.

Love makes people weak.

Yeah, not expecting that, were you? But it's true. Loving someone or something makes you vulnerable. And if there is anything I hate possibly more than anything else, it is being vulnerable. People, who are not basically good like the world wants you to believe, take advantage of the vulnerable. They push and pull until they get what they want, and then they leave.

I was very quick to love when I was younger. I think every child is. Some (and I can't decide if they're the lucky ones or the dumb ones) grow up and continue this behavior.

I'm not one of them.

If I don't love someone, then I'm not hurt when they leave. If I don't love them, they can't hurt me at all.

Theoretically.

Because in reality, I'm called to love everyone. I'm called to love them like Jesus loves them. That's what my blog is about! Because his love compels me, I'm called to make myself vulnerable all. the. freaking. time.

I can't do this on my own. I don't WANT to do this on my own. Because I love people.

And then they leave.

Are you starting to understand why I haven't written anything lately?

1 comment:

  1. This post just reminded me why you and I are friends.

    Whether we love or not, we are vulnerable. You just can't see your vulnerability the way other people can. Don't let that scare you.
    They don't all leave.

    This makes me want to write about something like a glass bottle friendship. I think I just might.

    ReplyDelete