Wednesday, May 9, 2012

What did Idaho, boys?

Considering how difficult it was to get to Idaho, I was worried that the visit itself would be problematic. Fortunately, this was not the case.

Way back in 1989, my family took a month-long cross-country trip to California and back. I was three, so I don't remember much, but I do remember having a good time. What I couldn't remember was whether or not we'd spent any time in Idaho. I didn't think we had, but my dad says we did - either way, we never made it to Boise, so it was nice to be able to check off a new destination in the U.S.

Boise exists in a bowl, so everywhere you look, there are mountains. I'm not used to mountains. I was thrilled when I saw them from the plane,


and then again from the window of the condo where we were staying.


Lovely people in Idaho! Betty Mae was our home hostess, and she took us to a Farmer's Market on Saturday morning. I just wasn't expecting it to be so huge!






I'm not used to living in cities where you can walk everywhere (just about). Of course, I walk to work, but that's about a minute and a half when I'm practically crawling. (Or ten minutes if you ask Beka.) But we walked all over Boise, and it was all I could do to keep up with Betty Mae (who is in her eighties).

Saturday afternoon saw us at a lovely mother/daughter dinner. I wore my punjabi outfit and we talked about how women in different cultures respond to certain situations. I met some lovely ladies and had great food!

Later that afternoon, we drove up to Table Rock. And I do mean up.


I'm still a little fuzzy on the why, but at some point, someone stuck a huge cross up on this flat area above the city. It's stayed every since, despite some efforts to pull it down. It lights up at night and can be seen from just about anywhere in Boise.


That's the downtown, by the way. Maybe a 15 minute drive from this point.


Such a gorgeous country!

We spoke at the church the next morning. The UB church in Idaho is literally a log cabin. 



Very cool.

We went to Idaho City Sunday afternoon, a neat little town from the Gold Rush days.



The roads made me a little nervous.


But the views were worth it.

We finished the day with a nice dinner at one of the church member's homes, filled with fun and fellowship. 

And then we had to leave. We had some slight trouble Monday morning getting on our flight, but then it was smooth sailing (flying?) the rest of the way. 

I loved Idaho. The West is such a beautiful place, and I'm looking forward to going back someday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment