Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Not going to the chapel. Not anytime soon, anyway.

I've been thinking a lot lately about marriage.

As in, why am I not married? Do I want to be married? Why is everyone else getting married, anyway?

I'm going to blame April for these thoughts. She's getting married in a few weeks. She is the last of my Lakewood Park (high school) classmates (that I care about) to get married. I think.

Pretty sure.

Anyway, I've been debating this issue in my head. Mostly, it's a moot point, because I'm not dating anyone and I've never met anyone I would marry.

(There is a list, though, of people I haven't met that I would marry. These are mostly celebrities or older, wealthy gentlemen. I really hope I don't ever meet them because then I'll have to make a choice. Because they will obviously want to marry me as soon as they meet me.)

I understand the value of marriage. And I have been lonely. But I really think that could be fixed with a cat. Not a person who needs attention all the time and messes with my stuff. A good friend could solve this, too.

And besides, where do you meet people these days? Contrary to popular belief, there aren't a lot of eligible bachelor missionaries out there. And would I even want to marry a missionary? I hear they can be a little odd.

There's always church, I suppose. But I'm not the best at inserting myself into conversations I haven't been invited to join. So I guess he'll have to do the pursuing.

Any other ideas?

Of course, not having a husband means not having children. (Because that's just how I roll.) But do I want kids? Kids are messy. I like hanging out with them sometimes, but I like it more when I can send them home to their parents.

So there's that.

I'm still not sure where I fall on this issue. But today I saw a friend's post that began with "my husband and I" and it just weirded me out. So for the moment, I'm quite pleased with my life as it is.

I just need to remember that the next time I make a Doctor Who reference and no one gets it.

Because if I ever do get married, my husband will be fluent in the science-fiction lexicon.

1 comment:

  1. children- DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! hahahahaha! those little monsters are EXHAUSTING!!!!!

    and husbands? they are overrated....nothing like having to clean facial hair from the sink and pick up dirty underwear 2 inches from the dirty clothes basket.

    enjoy your glorious singleness. I love being married and having children, but some days, I wonder!

    (dude...I promise I'm not miserable....i just get tired of so many bodies that are constantly needing my attention!!)

    love you! <3

    ReplyDelete