Friday, July 10, 2015

Sanctuary

Some things have been happening here. Personal things, but the kind that affect work things. Things I can't really talk about. I'm okay physically, but my emotional and spiritual states have taken a beating. I was able to go home last weekend, and I'm going to Conference next week, and I think time away helps. But it also feels a little bit like running away. 

I like labels. This may seem like an odd segue, but it applies. If something has a label, it has an identity. I can define it and begin to understand it. 

I can't label this thing. Sure, there are labels that seem to apply, but only superficially and only for a time. I don't understand this thing. I don't want to be one of those people who ignores a thing because they don't understand it. That's ignorant. But at the same time, the emotional effort it would take to understand this thing makes me want to run even faster in the other direction. 

I usually find a lot of comfort in the Psalms. The writers are human, and they are totally on board with expressing their very human emotions, sometimes in extremely passionate ways. And they are pretty great at describing God, even in their limited ways. 

My comfort these last few weeks has come from Psalm 18:30. 

"As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord's word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him."

God understands the thing. He's known it was coming for always. He knows how it will turn out. And he's providing sanctuary for those who desperately need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment