Wednesday, July 1, 2015

They're Running Out of Time

A few weeks ago, someone referenced a quote by Penn Jillette, a well-known atheist. I've said it before, I'll accept Truth from whoever says it. It has stuck with me, and it has added to the theme that seems to be developing in my life right now. I hunted down the exact quote because I think he captures the real urgency that believers should be feeling. 

“I’ve always said that I don’t respect people who don’t proselytize. I don’t respect that at all. If you believe that there’s a heaven and a hell, and people could be going to hell or not getting eternal life, and you think that it’s not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward—and atheists who think people shouldn’t proselytize and who say just leave me along and keep your religion to yourself—how much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe everlasting life is possible and not tell them that?
“I mean, if I believed, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that a truck was coming at you, and you didn’t believe that truck was bearing down on you, there is a certain point where I tackle you. And this is more important than that.”
How much do you have to hate someone to not tell them the Truth? How selfish are you to keep the greatest thing man will ever experience a secret? I mean, we're talking basic stuff here, people. This is Great Commission stuff. "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'" Jesus didn't say, 'I understand, it's hard to tell people about me. You're fine. Stay home. People will figure it out. Or not. Hell? Psshh. It's okay if a few people are left out.' 
No. Jesus told us to go, outside of our comfortable homes and lives, and talk to people. Tell them about Jesus, tell them what He has done for them. Tell them how to be like Jesus so that they can spend eternity with Him. Whatever awkwardness or fear you feel doesn't matter. Because Jesus is with you. 
We're not doing enough. I see the statistics every day, I watch the news, I hear the stories. Our world believes it doesn't need Jesus. God? He was a nice crutch for a while, but we're doing just fine without him. And Christians? We're letting people believe that. We're saying, "Fine. You believe what you want to believe. Just leave me alone in my church." We're shutting the door in their face. We're telling people that, because they aren't perfect, they don't belong with us. They have to change before we initiate them into our secret club. 
But it's not a secret! There were entire church councils addressing this issue of needing secret knowledge. There's no secret here! We should be telling everyone what we know! And if they were perfect already, what need have they of the church? (Newsflash: It's in people's nature to sin. Christians are counter-culture. I know! Crazy, isn't it?)
So this morning, I listened to Bob Fetherlin give a vision for the next ten years at OMS. Ten years. It's hard for me to imagine. I have to confess, I don't really want to be here in ten years. I'm afraid of what the world will look like then. I am desperately waiting for Christ's return. This world is extremely hard to live in. 
But I had to pause this morning, because let's really think about that. Let's realize just how selfish that actually is. If Christ were to return today, how many people would be left to eternal damnation? How many family members that we just sort of assumed would see our example and suddenly realize their need for Jesus? How many friends that we politely agree to disagree with? How many strangers who needed just a little bit of hope and we brushed them off because we were busy?
Christians are becoming turtles. We retreat into our shells when trouble comes, only peeking out to shake our heads at the evil world. We're sitting here quietly, praying for Jesus to come quickly so we don't have to deal with being uncomfortable when people challenge our faith. How selfish is that?
God, please give us more time. Give us more opportunities to share you with more people, and give us the urgency of spirit to realize we don't have forever. 
God is not willing that anyone should perish. And I'm not naive enough to believe that everyone we speak to will respond positively. It's a choice. And some people choose poorly. But if we're just not going to bother telling them at all, then why should Jesus even come back for us?
(He will, because he's awesome like that and told us he would and there are people who are doing everything they can to make sure everyone knows the Truth of Jesus Christ.)
Someone once asked me why I became a missionary when there are plenty of people in my own country who need Jesus. I have a new way to answer that now. Ian Bongers, director of OMS Australia, laid it out for us last week. Statistically speaking, one in four Americans is an evangelical Christian. (What do I mean by evangelical Christian? Someone who believes that belief in Jesus Christ is the only path to salvation, and shares that saving knowledge with others.) This is according to the Joshua Project. So, if every single person who identifies as an evangelical Christian found three people who didn't and told them about Jesus, everyone in the United States would have heard the Gospel and had an opportunity to respond. 
Three people. That's not exactly hard. Or at least it shouldn't be. 
But let's look at Japan. Statistically, one in 168 people in Japan is an evangelical Christian. That one person has to have that conversation with 167 people. 
He could use some help.
So by all means, you talk to your three people in your own backyard. But when you're done, maybe consider taking what you know to the rest of the world? 
Because how selfish would you have to be not to?

1 comment: