Thursday, September 1, 2016

The Weekly Wrap-Up: August 29 - September 1, 2016

This has been a weird week, though more for personal reasons than professional. I've felt very off kilter. It's a good phrase, that. Off kilter. I wonder where it came from.

::a little sleuthing later::

Apparently, you can also use the phrase 'out of kilter.' Kilter, of course, means good form, order, spirits or condition. I guess no one uses it in a positive manner anymore. As for its origin, no one seems to know, though most agree it has nothing to do with Scotsmen.

I have a great desire to describe good things as 'in kilter' now.

Anyway.

Like I said. Weird week. I was without hot water for much of it. My water heater decided to burn out, once with little fanfare, and a second time with a nice little POP and scorch marks. I was boiling water in order to do dishes, though I thought it best to not do that for washing hair. Cold showers are mighty unpleasant.

I had a huge headache Tuesday and Wednesday. Bordering on migraine territory, which meant I had to fight not to throw up.

I guess that could throw me off my game.

Anyway, we spent a lot of time on the app this week. We have a really great useable product. Now we need to market it. (And stop changing things!) I'm really proud of what we've created, though. I hope lots of people use this.

I processed more test files. Yay! Once approved, we can move forward with languages. It's nice to actually get this part of the job. I think back to two years ago when I started working with ECC, and I had no idea what I was in for! I thought I'd never learn the process, but here we are! I have more to learn, true, but I know enough that we can start divvying up the workload.

We had a seminar today on possible new tech for us. I learned a lot, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's another couple of years before we see it implemented. (If stakeholders decide to go this route.) I wish it wasn't so, but money talks in missions. The more money, the more we can do. I think we steward funds pretty well at OMS, but it's disheartening to see a really great idea die because we have no way to fund it. (Or missionaries leave because they have no more funding.)

Ah, well.

I'm writing this on Thursday this week because I am outta here for the weekend! Woohoo! I have a lot of vacation time left, and I intend to use it well. Have an excellent weekend, and enjoy your day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment