Friday, March 17, 2017

The Weekly Wrap-Up: March 13-17, 2017



Okay. Now that that's out of the way...

I think I've been a bit distracted lately. Or in a bit of a fog. Can't really say I'm done with that. But I'll try to be a little more informative about things on here. I need a little help, though. What do you want to know about my life? What kinds of things are you interested in hearing? More photos? More random thoughts from the dark recesses of my overactive brain? Do you like my live blogs of animated movies? What about music? It's been a while since I've done music. Do you have questions I can answer? Do tell.

In the meantime, I'm deeply entrenched in Japanese. We were in the middle of translating what used to be level 1 (1-34) for them when we started revising everything, so we are finishing that as they upgrade to version 4. I'm trying to get these 34 booklets published this week. And next, probably. I'm moving fast but also trying not to miss things. It's getting more uncomfortable to sit for long periods of time, so I'm trying to intersperse breaks at opportune times. 

I sang in chapel again on Tuesday. I'm still of two minds about it, but I'll keep doing it until I resolve something. It's not that I don't like to sing. I do. I like it a lot. A little too much, sometimes. I'm decent. Could be better with training. It's something I once thought about pursuing professionally. But I have a very healthy ego. And an unhealthy self-esteem, if those things can exist at the same time. I want to do this for the right reasons. 

Are you guys observing Lent this year? Insofar as it relates to giving something up, I am not. I didn't really feel convicted about anything, and being in this fog didn't help. I couldn't really focus long enough to pinpoint one thing. But I think I am going to try to have longer personal Bible study and prayer times. We have had a gal from the South Korea office with us since January. She's quite lovely, and she spoke yesterday about her own times of prayer and study. She reads the Bible through three times a year. She's in prayer at least three hours a day. It's partly a cultural difference, true, and partly personality, but I admire her devotion and her spirit. It's something I'd like people to say about me - "She was always in tune with the Spirit of God." That would be a ringing endorsement indeed. 

So that's a new goal. It's weird. I was talking to a coworker about this, and we noted that we're fortunate to work for a Christian organization. At the same time, however, we're very much regimented in our work. We have deadlines and schedules and set times for prayer just as we set times for meetings. 

I think I've established by now that prayer is a different experience for me than it is for many other people

(Incidentally, in searching for the posts to link to in the above sentence, I realized just how hidebound I've become lately. Like, I wasn't exactly a social butterfly before, but I did actually do stuff outside of work and my apartment. I went places. I think I need a vacation. Like, out of this state. I'll put it on my credit card if I have to.)

Anyway, I think this is something I should work on. It's just going to be hard to convince myself that it's worth taking time from work to do. 

Umm... Sorry. Got an email, which turned into a trip upstairs, and by the time I came back down, I'd forgotten where I parked my train of thought. 

Seriously, though, feedback would be nice. 

See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment