Friday, June 16, 2017

The Weekly Wrap-Up: June 12-16, 2017

Let's just assume from now on that I will always have ridiculously long meetings on Monday mornings. Even this week, when we established ahead of time that we were only going to meet for 30 minutes, we started talking about leaving after 40, and continued on for another 20 minutes after that.

So, yeah...

It's People Time at OMS! Missionary Council meetings this week, the Board next week, who knows what in between - it all adds up to a bunch of folks we don't normally see wandering around HQ. It's nice to reconnect, though it's also like continuing a six-year long conversation that happens once a year.

So my first project this week was Hindi. We're in proof stages for this particular group, so I was making the changes that the translator sent. Most of them were pretty easy - they're pulled in automatically with the script. But in one case, the translator mentioned that two words were joined together at the end of the paragraph.

This one, to be exact:


Slight problem with that. Anyone know what it is?

You are correct! I neither speak, nor read, Hindi! So I have no way of knowing where that last word is supposed to be split. Google Translate isn't a ton of help with something like this. So I used all the means at my disposal to hunt down the correct answer.

Which looks like this:


I'm awesome.

After Hindi, I'm back to Portuguese. Same thing, proof stages for four groups this time. It's going to be a fairly lengthy project, I think. Lots of fiddly bits. My desk is full of post-it notes of things to remember to change.

And I've been working on a top secret project. Never fear, though, you'll hear all about it next week.

At some point, I'll be starting my new series. If you have a question you've always wanted to ask a missionary, any question at all, send it to me and I'll answer it.

Now I'm off to a picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment