Friday, April 20, 2018

The Weekly Wrap-Up: April 16-20, 2018

Hakha Chin is done!

Hallelujah!

Seriously, words cannot express how grateful I am to finally be done with this language. At least for now. There will always be more Hakha Chin. But the first two groups have been published (provisionally), and they should be available for training next week. I have been working my booty off to get this done, and I'm very happy to go back to the normally scheduled program.

Which is Chinese. Well, to be specific, simplified Chinese. I can't even really tell you what that means, other than that there is also a traditional Chinese. I'd imagine it has something to do with the characters. But beyond that, I got nothing. I just know it's a lot shorter than most other languages I work in. It also has its own idiosyncrasies. I'm actually breaking a lot of the normal rules in order to make these booklets look like the others. But needs must...

We had two good chapels this week. The Beasleys talked about their first five years here, and then a woman who helps with Light in Darkness spoke. She has had personal experience with the human trafficking industry, and it was a horrific things to hear. Just when you think you understand how evil people can be, you realize you have no clue. But God is redeeming those experiences as she shares her story with other victims and survivors. It was hard to listen to, but good to hear.

I have to give big kudos to Foster and Lori for finishing the decade displays this week. I have helped in small ways along the journey, but those two carried the big burdens with this project. You should really stop by OMS sometime to see the finished work. It's a great way to learn about OMS' history over more than 100 years of ministry.

Somehow, in the midst of all of this (and by that, I mean every night staying late at work), I was able to get some thank you notes written. I'll send them Monday, and hopefully then I can work on my next prayer letter. And figure out when I can finish my post on the Philippines trip. I really can't let another month pass before I get that done. I just don't know how to get these projects done and do thorough updates at the same time. I'll figure it out. Probably.

Finally, we have our Pic of the Week.


My standing desk arrived! Now you know why I was clearing stuff off my desk in the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping that this will promote a healthier lifestyle, or at least get me out of my chair every once in a while. I'll let you know how it turns out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment