Friday, July 19, 2019

The Weekly Wrap-Up: July 15-19, 2019

If I was being really clever, I might title this week the French Mistake. But I'm not clever, and it wasn't really a mistake. But it has been something of a Marx brothers routine.

Backstory: we started French many moons ago. Eons, really, if you're measuring in the time of the digital age. In real time, we started this project in 2017. We've changed a lot since then. And that's a bit of a problem. Even the language has changed - we started this with a more European style of French, but now we're focusing on a more African French. There can be major differences. We also changed the art and the style of most of the templates.

We had done two groups of French, but then we stalled with the translator, and no one was really clamoring for it back then. But they are now.

I started working on French with the files we already had, but it quickly became apparent that we needed to completely overhaul the files. So we smooshed all of the most current translations into one file, and I've been shoving it into entirely new templates.

With the utmost care, of course.

I'll likely be doing French for a couple of weeks. I need to get it done quickly, but since we're essentially starting from scratch, I also need to make sure these files are pristine. We'd normally have two or three proofs, but this might only get one. So I gotta make it count.

This week I also oversaw the shipping of one computer to Mississippi. Trista has been remoting in to work on another office computer, but networks are unreliable, and there was often a delay for her that was quite frustrating. So we sent 35 lbs of computer to the middle of nowhere and hoped for the best (and bought insurance). And it arrived beautifully! Props to UPS for that.

Chapel this week was a prayer rally. It was actually our annual pray through the neighborhoods one. I don't actually go out, because while others are meeting the mayor and going to fire stations, I take the opportunity to pray through the offices. It's actually quite a rare thing, a fact that was made abundantly clear to me on Wednesday. Yes, we do pray a lot here. We have Monday devotions and chapel on Wednesday and we sometimes pray before meetings. But to go office to office - even I only do it once a year. If people are out, I pray over their space for general work and personal stuff, or things I know from what they've told me. But if they are in, I always ask them for specific prayer requests and then pray with them. Last year, one of them actually prayed for me after I prayed for him. This year, one individual told me that this hadn't happened in 30 years of being in the office.

We should probably work on that.

Speaking of work. Confession time means that I have to tell you I've spent a large part of today watching them tear down the building across the street.



It used to be Pool City. And we used to be 'that place across from Pool City.' But now, we shall be known as 'the place with the flags.' Which was actually our other name before this. So maybe we can finally start being known as One Mission Society. We'll see. But demolition is quite therapeutic. We (for there were many of us) considered asking to have a turn in the excavator. No one had the guts.

It's super hot here, so I anticipate doing very little this weekend. It's gonna be awesome. (And I'm officially down to two cats!)

Be nice to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment