Friday, September 13, 2019

The Weekly Wrap-Up: September 9-13, 2019

Hello, my lovelies! How is your Friday the 13th treating you? Not that I put stock in that drivel, other than people's tendencies to get amped about an arbitrary day and be more stupid than usual. It's a typical quiet day at OMS, though. I've been the only one in the ECC hallway all day. Most of the others are off in Africa. I did leave briefly for an eye appointment this afternoon, but other than that, I've been enjoying having the place to myself. I can get a lot more done.

It's been a fairly productive week. Trista arrived Sunday to attend Orientation this week. I appreciated the extra time we got to spend together. She's been a godsend as I lead the production process, and I can always count on her to ask excellent questions.


With Orientation comes the usual history of missions session. I was not at all intimidated to do my little doodles in front of my art teacher roommate. Nope. But I think it went well. It was a small group this time, only five, and only one of those will be serving full-time in a field. But missionaries come in all shapes and sizes, and we do what we're gifted in. And since all gifts come from God, it's fairly safe to say we're using them appropriately.

I was able to publish three groups of Romanian this week! Yay! I actually did four, but it turns out I got a little ahead of myself. So the fourth group will have to wait to be reviewed by our translator one more time. Which is fine. Otherwise, I've continued my work on English.

We had our staff briefing on Wednesday. It was a little shocking as we learned that three people will be leaving us soon - one in finance, one in development, and one in marketing. It's been one of those seasons, unfortunately, but I'm hoping we can figure out how to better retain our HQ staff. It's always harder for those raising funds to work in the U.S. But they are essential positions to keep our fields running successfully.

We also had a memorial service Thursday for Rick Beard. He and his wife Barb served in Taiwan at one of the churches. He had a very unexpected heart attack in July. It's always sad to lose someone, though I didn't know him well, but it's not quite as common now as it was in the old days. We talk in history of missions about the missionaries who would pack their belongings in the coffins they would eventually be buried in, but that's not supposed to happen in the modern age. It's easy to say that God's plans are bigger than ours, but to actually live in that reality is something different entirely. But we can pray for Barb as she adjusts to a new reality and figures out where to go from here.

That's about it. When Sarah gets back, we need to start planning the ECC retreat. Well, continue to plan. We started planning this one about five minutes before the last one officially ended. But details are important. We have where. Now we need what.

Thank you for praying for my medical stuff! The labs that have come back are normal, so that's a relief. Just waiting on a few more things (and the bill). I do appreciate all of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment