Friday, October 11, 2019

The Weekly Wrap-Up: October 7-11, 2019

So, how did the International Festival go?

By all accounts, I'd say it actually went really well! We had about 700 people there, we didn't run out of food, and I think pretty much all of the attendees had fun in some way. We had bounce houses, food trucks, a photo booth, international games, a dunk tank (more on that later), and probably a bunch of other things I knew nothing about.

Many months ago, when this was being planned, I signed up to work two shifts. I signed up to help with setup from 9-11, and then I signed up to help with games from 1:30-4. The event was scheduled for 11-4. I also recruited my parents to help out in the morning because they are lovely people.

In reality, we showed up for setup at 7, which was good because there was no way to get everything ready in two hours. You try inflating four (maybe) bounce houses, put out tables, set up tents and signs and games, etc. in two hours. I bounced around for a while on various projects until my parents and I got placed in charge of the dunk tank. It arrived at 9, and if you're ever in charge of a dunk tank, two hours is not enough time to fill it using just a hose. Also, you'll be stuck with cold water. So we carted hot water from the kitchen to the tank five or six times.


And then we just kinda never left. I didn't want to leave my parents alone with the dunk tank (especially when they didn't know the people who would be in it - not me, never, no way no how). So I stayed. And then I stayed some more, because we didn't have anyone else to cover it for the afternoon shift.

I'm sure the games were nice.

Anyway, I did leave at 4, because by then, I couldn't really move anymore. I cuddled a cat and then made her sit on the floor because her eight-pound body was leaving bruises on my legs. (Probably not, but it felt like it.) So it was good. And look! I made the paper!


I could have been holding a bull all afternoon. No, thanks. Sarah did a great job.


Anyway, we theoretically had flex time we could have taken this week, but because I'm a good employee, I did not take any. Also, we have a huge project we're trying to make headway on with T&M, so it was not a good time for it.

We're getting there! 65 and 66 are just about done, and the next step is to start assembling volumes. These will have several booklets and other VCP curriculum all in one file that can be printed and bound. I think we'll end up with four volumes for each language - English, French, Swahili, Chichewa, and Amharic. But most of that is a long way down the road. For now, I need to make sure the new booklets are as good as they can get.

But I'm also still doing U and B books. One more group was published this week! I even managed to change all of the back pages and republish previous groups.

Let's see, random stuff from this week... I think our staff briefing was the briefest brief that ever briefed. We were there less than 40 minutes! It's unheard of, truly. But it was nice. And then I gave an impromptu tour to some donors because I happened to be at the front desk and Patty said, "Jessica will take you around!" So I said, "Sure."


I am great with the extemporization.

So that's my week! Oh, and as if that wasn't enough, I did actually write a prayer letter, too. So you can look for that to be mailed out next week.

Au revoir, mes amis!

No comments:

Post a Comment