Friday, August 28, 2020

The Weekly Wrap-Up: August 24-28, 2020

I started the Weekly Wrap-Up in 2016. I didn't realize it had been that long. But I know I started this in 2016 because I've been going back through my blog in an effort to quantify the last 10 years for my prayer letter. 

Related to that, do you remember when I used to do short little videos of my day? Do you miss those? I feel bad, like I'm not giving you any variety these days. I feel very boring. I used to do things. Granted, there's a pandemic, so no one is doing much of anything. But still. 

This was quite a week. I can't really say it was a good one. In fact, parts of it were pretty bad. I'm not sure how much longer I can last under this constant thrum of anxiety before just curling up into a ball and sobbing into a pillow. 

Oh well. On with the work. Always the work. 

So, like I said, this was an interesting week. We (the production team) have been slowly working toward upgrading our processes and software. There's always an element of wanting to do things better or faster, but we have made incredible progress over the last few months. We are now working in Adobe CC, which if you don't know about Adobe, it's the latest and greatest. Previously, we were working in CS4. Think at least four generations back. It was fine, but it certainly had its issues. As does CC. There's always something that doesn't work quite the same way, so we're kicking the tires and doing some road testing. By 2021, we should be working exclusively in CC, but I'm keeping CS4 around just in case. So part of my week was resetting my workspace to accommodate the new configuration. 

My test project for this has been Amharic. Yes, we are finally getting around to working in this truly fascinating language. Amharic is primarily spoken in Ethiopia, which naturally makes me think of Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch. It's such a cool connection. We're just getting started, but I'm already finding it quite different from other languages. There are always different things to watch out for. Full stops in this language (periods in English) sometimes look like :: and sometimes look like something I can't represent with this font. And I wouldn't even begin trying to speak it. 

The rest of the week was filled with little projects - helping people with computers, proofing Outreach pages, finishing my next prayer letter. That should be winging its way to you shortly. 

And that's it. That's the week. I'm trying to find some days I can take off soon. I need a break. But we'll see. 

Bye!

1 comment:

  1. Amharic?! That's a great name for a language. Also, can we acknowledge that, according to a video I found (because I'm nerd like that), apparently Amharic has 231 consonants. Mmm hmm. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete