Friday, February 3, 2017

The Weekly Wrap-Up: January 30 - February 3, 2017

It took me a minute to remember that we started the week still in January. Feels like February should be half over already.

Of course, that could just be all the craziness of the week making me feel like time is moving faster. Not gonna lie, there was a medium-sized breakdown around Monday or Tuesday. I say medium only because I managed not to do it at work, but let's all be thankful I don't have a roommate.

So I finished creating the Spanish proofs. That's a fairly easy task comparatively, but you still have to resolve whatever issues the finalization process revealed. Most of those were questions for the translator, though, so that's all right.

I learned how to publish this week! Let me tell you, it's not just your basic exporting to PDF. We have to create three different types of PDF, split files, add security, and you have to do it all in the right order or you'll be forced to start over.

So, no pressure or anything.

I'm pretty sure I was trying to do four things at the same time at least once this week. I think women like to say they're great at multi-tasking, but I'm not always so good. It usually ends up in me missing something on one or all of my projects. It's hard to focus on one thing at a time, though. So I do what I can, then take a walk or switch to something else.

Added to the difficulty is trying to document the process and workflow for everything I'm learning. I think the instructions take longer than some of the tasks because there are so many little parts that I just do without thinking about it. Then when people try to duplicate it, they can't because there are pieces missing. So I try to go through my notes three or four times to be sure I haven't skipped anything major.

I was also asked to work on a side project this week. We're getting ready for training in March, and Larry (director of CMFs) needed a new handout with T&M art instead of what he had. It was nice to put my design skills to work in a different way. It did involve me combing through scads of art files, but it provided a nice break.

If you've been wondering about the app, I can tell you that we're discussing a new name and look for it. Sure, it hasn't been released yet, but why not change everything. I also listened to a long discussion about how we were going to order the indexes since alphabetical would probably only work for English. Yeah, going well, that.

Finally, I'm back in Hindi with group 2. It's weird that group 1 has been published (by me!), yet we're nearly at the beginning with the rest of the booklets. And judging by how well it's going right now (I'm running files as I type this), it could take even longer. I've got a problem with one file, and I can't tell if it's my computer, the template, the script, or the transfile.

I'm thinking that's next week's problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment