Friday, May 18, 2018

The Weekly Wrap-Up: May 14-18, 2018

Chinese is done!

Man, of all the languages I've worked with, I never thought this one would have so many issues. Character languages are supposed to be simpler. It's certainly shorter. But the spacing is really odd.


PSA: Don't put pictures in Word documents.

So I actually work in InDesign. But it's still a pain. I don't understand why this language behaves so
inconsistently from booklet to booklet. But it's my job to make it look good. So that's what I did.

(Okay, do you want to know something frustrating? I was told this week not to worry about making the booklets look perfect because the proofreaders are going to change a lot. Fine. I get that. But that's literally the case every time I send them back to the translators. If I can make them look great now, that's less I have to change later. And this is after I asked what the priority project was and was told to finish Chinese. Don't tell me not to do my job as well as I usually do.)

Whatever. It's done.

For something completely different, I published the first group of Tagalog. It's an interesting process, because you have to split two of the booklets. We publish the whole thing and then the individual studies. I'm really pleased with how they came out, and the Philippines will be happy to have the booklets.

Now, I'm back into Hakha Chin. I've just barely started, and I have no idea when it will actually be finished. I'm only in two days next week. My nephew is graduating, so we're headed up to Michigan so I can thoroughly embarrass him as is my duty as his Aunt. Plus, I'll be manning the front desk in the afternoon. If you want to hear me butcher the job of receptionist, call Monday or Tuesday from 3-5. 317.888.3333

That's about it for the week. It's been fairly quiet. The only odd thing is that I had lunch plans every single day. That's very unusual. Often, I only have plans once a week, with the rare stretch to two days. But this week, I didn't go home for lunch once. Which is slightly annoying because I had food that needed to be eaten. But it's also nice because I don't have to make anything. (So if you're ever in town, feel free to call me up. There are a lot of great places to eat around here.)

After one of these meals, though, I took the Pic of the Week. I'm pretty sure it's to scale. Anyone know what it is? (Lori, you aren't allowed to guess since you were sitting next to me.)


No comments:

Post a Comment