Friday, March 13, 2020

The Weekly Wrap-Up: March 9-13, 2020

Let's start with the thing that's on everyone's mind - COVID-19.

No, OMS offices aren't closed. Yes, we're taking things seriously. We've cancelled some events, and we are restricting large gatherings, such as chapels. Many of my coworkers have opted to stay home - I believe the phrase is self-quarantine. The rest of us are practicing my new favorite phrase: social distancing. (Turns out, I've been practicing for this pandemic my entire life!) That means a lot of time alone, in my office, doing what I was already doing but with a lot more email and video chats.

I'm not afraid of what is coming, but I am cautious. I don't plan on hoarding toilet paper or hand sanitizer, but I do plan on being smart and limiting my interactions with others. That protects me, and it protects them. Panic isn't sensible. Neither is carelessness. I hope that you can be a comfort to others in a spirit of love and understanding. Don't shame those who are afraid. There is much to fear in this world. But we know the power of One who has conquered fear and death.

Okay, on to actual work stuff. I had devotions on Monday, in which I talked about Purim, the Jewish festival celebrating Esther's rescue of the Jewish people in Persia. It's one of my favorite books of the Bible, and it also inspired one of my favorite books/movies - "One Night With the King." It's a fantastic interpretation of the story of Hadassah.

I was able to finish GR11 of Mizo Chin! I was hoping to complete the entire language, but I forgot that Missionary Manual is part of GR12, and it's 120 pages long. So that will keep until Monday.

We had staff briefing on Wednesday. It was a long one, but most of the information was known to me already. We are losing a couple more people, though. We really need more workers. Good thing we've been focusing on the 10:2 challenge. But seriously, if you know anyone who is looking for a way to serve in missions, send them our way.

We had a second chapel on Thursday (just before we cancelled chapels for the rest of March) to celebrate Founders Day. Two of our founders had the same birthday (March 13, but you know, Friday the 13th, not great), so we celebrate the history of OMS on that day. I had to leave early because I had a dentist appointment. But I learned some things I hadn't known before. We have a very long and rich history, and as much as some stuff exasperates me, I can still appreciate the sacrifices made by those who have taken on the missionary mantle over the years. They answered the most important call, and I'm so proud to follow in their footsteps.

That's pretty much it for me. Wash your hands, look after your elders, and have a blessed weekend.

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment